International Access Networks (I-A-N) is a groundbreaking web based multi media center. The role of I-A-N is connecting communities. I-A-N is a New York State 501 (c) (3) Not–for-Profit Corporation which serves as an alternative to mainstream media. Be sure to take a look at our sister blog. It is Jazz and World Beat at International Access Networks. That address is: http://jazzworldbeatatinternationalaccessnet.blogspot.com/ See you there!!!!

Thursday, March 08, 2007


(The Above photo: courtesy of Mainzer Postcards, inc.)

On one of the coldest days of the year, Valentine's Day last February, I met a man from the other-side-of-the world. He was a musician, who was visiting New York City, the city of my birth.

That day, many of you may recall, was also the day that thousands of people were stranded and trapped on the Tarmac of the local airports due to terrible weather.... There was snow, high wind, and ice that day on the East Coast. I was there to meet the lady in my life, Carole Shaw, who had flown-in from Sydney, Australia that day.

Like many at JFK airport, she had been left sitting on her plane for an agonizing 3-hours plus, after a 21-hour journey! On the way, we met this man from New Zealand, who was on the same flight and, was heading into town. It was his first time to the U.S.A. and, also to New York City.

The BIG Apple gets hard knocks from folks across the U.S.A. who do not understand that the big city matters to them as well. First impressions are often lasting. The man in question, Bryan Pukepuke, was heading to Manhattan and didn't know how to get there.

He rode with us, on the famous 'A' Train into town. We were headed to New Jersey. He was headed to Mid-town to a hotel room. Under-dressed for the cold, tired from his long journey, we told him what to do and, where to go. I even handed over my copy of the Village Voice, so he would know where to find things in town.

We had made plans to meet-up that weekend, once he got settled. Turns out, we never met again. Yet, thanks to the Internet we have been in touch. Here's a note I received that he had sent to The New York Times after his visit. It is unclear whether the 'Times' published his note to the Editorial board. However, I now share it with you......

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on receiving the "Excellence in Journalism Award" for your 8 part radio series on IBC.

I wish to extend a HUGE THANK YOU for getting the word out about Inflammatory breast cancer, so little is known about it and so few people have even ever heard of it......You've made myself and the entire IBC community proud and quite possibly saved some life's--information is power and you've empowered a lot of people!

I am in the middle of fight for my life battling IBC, people say that I'm a survivor. Yet, it's hard to be a survivor of the IBC monster that you know doctors know so little about.

Thank you from my heart!

Deby Ragona/Happy Valley, OR

IBC diagnosed 07/03/06

5:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home